The last time I updated this, yesterday, I was in a netcafe in Eilat. A boy of about 12 worked there. When I nodded my head to greet him, he didn't even nod back. He gave me this blank look the entire time I was in his presence. It wasn't just an un-smiling look, it was a blank one.
I've encountered faces like that before. Most of them have been in Israel.
In some places, the trend is to make you feel welcome. That's the trend in Egypt, for sure. (And, like most things in Egypt, the welcoming is way, way overdone.) In some places, the locals don't care about you.
But Israel is the only place I've been to so far where you meet locals who seem to be trying hard to let you know that they don't care. They don't just ignore you- they give you blank looks. When you say thank you and get ready to walk away, they're still giving you that blank look, as if to let you know that every second you've looked at them was a significant waste of their time.
And at the hostel last night, I made at least two cool Israeli friends. That's Israel for you.
No comments:
Post a Comment
I just talked about myself. Now talk about yourself.